- Campus Life
Research at Paris-Sud
Paris-Sud University is recognised globally for the exceptional quality of its research. In 2011, it was rated first amongst French universities in the Shanghai ranking, and all along its forty years of existence has accumulated numerous prestigious awards and honours.
Research at Paris-Sud in numbers :
- 2 500 faculty and researchers and 1 500 engineers, technicians and administrators working in over one hundred laboratories
- Over one-half of the 580 000 m² of the University’s building space are devoted to research.
- Some 5 000 international publications every year, with an above-average citation index in most disciplines.
A rich variety of scientific disciplines and fields
Research at Paris-Sud spans a large spectrum of scientific disciplines and fields. A few examples :
- Research work in mathematics and physics at Paris-Sud University is of the highest international calibre. Besides making significant contributions to our understanding of the Universe, it provides the foundation for research in other fields, such as computer science, chemistry, and biology.
- Driven by its close ties with chemistry and biology, pharmaceutical research at Paris-Sud University focuses primarily on therapeutic innovation, active principles, therapeutic target identification, and drug vectorisation.
- Medical research, be it fundamental, clinical of translational, is behind Paris-Sud University’s leading role in key areas such as oncology, immunology and biotherapy, neuroscience and reproductive endocrinology, and public health.
- In the field of sport and physical education, Paris-Sud University conducts cutting-edge research particularly on motricity, the psychological and social aspects of sport, and risk behaviour.
- Research in the social sciences at Paris-Sud University focuses on law, economics, and managing new technologies and innovation, with ramifications into the history of science and technology. The University is also an international reference in canon law.
Sharing technical platforms
The networking of equipment and human resources needed to support research is high on the list of Paris-Sud’s priorities. This is achieved through the implementation of technical platforms that can also be made available to industry. The proximity of major research organisations (CEA, CNRS, Inserm, Inra, Inria) with which to share these tools constitutes a significant advantage.
Competitiveness clusters and research networks
By bringing together research laboratories, institutions of higher education, and companies, competitiveness clusters seek to develop the synergy and the kind of innovative, collaborative projects needed to excel in their respective fields, in France and throughout the world. Paris-Sud University conducts multidisciplinary initiatives in partnership with other institutions in the Saclay Plateau, such as Systematic, in complex systems and information and communication technology.
The University actively participates in several competitiveness clusters such as Medicen, in therapeutic innovation, Moveo, in research and development in automobile industry and public transportation, and Astech, in aeronautics, space, and onboard systems. It is also a partner in other Réseaux Thématiques de Recherche Avancée (Advanced Research Topic Networks) such as Physics Triangle, Digitéo, Paris-île-de-France Neuroscience School, and Jacques Hadamard Mathematics Foundation
Technology transfer through strong industrial partnerships
Research technology transfer has always been one of the University’s main concerns, as demonstrated by the publication of results, research training, the links between research and teaching, and its industrial partnerships.
Since 2003, Paris-Sud has been working towards the technological transfer of its research output through its Service d’Activités Industrielles et Commerciales (Industrial and Commercial Activity Office), whose role is to protect intellectual property by patenting and to facilitate its transfer to socioeconomic circles (by licensing, or start-up creation). Some fifty patents are filed or published every year, primarily in the medical, physics, and engineering science fields.
Contract research undertaken by the University amounts to 19 million euros per year. These include European contracts such as PCRD, non-European (ANR, RTRA, FUI), contracts in collaboration with various partners, and supply contracts.
The success of all these transfer initiatives results from the existence of research activities linking laboratories and businesses, an active support of maturation of results, and the awareness among staff as to the importance of intellectual property and technological transfer. The Prix de la Valorisation (Technology Transfer Prize) is awarded every two years to a scientist from the University for the most original and promising project.
A well-established international presence
Paris-Sud University is part of the international network of major research universities. In Europe, as a member of the League of European Research Universities (LERU), and around the world through collaborative agreements with 145 universities in 85 countries, as part of which it jointly supervises 160 theses.